Sunday, March 23, 2008

Madrilena

I have officially lived in Spain for 73 days. Who would have ever thought? I am not sure what constitutes as a local, but tonight as I was writing in my journal, I have been reflecting on all the things that have been the norm for me these past 73 days.
1.Shopping at Carrefour, they have little rolling baskets that remind me of rolling backpacks. I have to put my backpack in a locker at the front, because I may try to smuggle some galletas. A word about galletas, spanish cookies, the digestives have been my staple.
2.Using public transportation (a big step up from the Aggie Shuttle)I have a monthly bus/train pass that has my picture and everything. I can walk most everywhere because of my amazing location, but I have learned the bus numbers to take to various destinations in Alcala.
3.Eating dinner at 9:30, usually it is lighter than lunch which is at about 2:30. The first month I died because I ate breakfast at 8:00 and the wait to eat lunch about killed me.
4.Eating strange, exotic food. Suckling pig, octopus, cow stomach, rabbit, blood sausage, and I eat this because "if it's is famous for the area you have to eat it!"
5. Giving kisses on each cheek to greet people, which by the way for Miss. I am not a touchy person at all, was really weird for me at first, but now I really like it. Plus when in Spain... you know the rest.
6. I know the latest Spanish celeb news from our favorite lunch program Corazon a Corazon. Everything from the hideous Chiki Chiki song, to Javier Bardem winning the Oscar, and then them talking about him winning it for weeks after.
Anyway that is probably good for now. Living in Spain is fabulous. Can't you tell?

1 comment:

Holly said...

Hi Dani, This is your second cousin Holly who served a mission in Madrid. I LOVED seeing your pictures and hearing about your experiences in Spain. It is AWESOME!! I need to come visit your parents when you get back and you can tell me about it. My husband Rob wants to see how they added on to your house. Enjoy your last few days in Spain. I think about my mission everyday. Sometimes it's just thinking about walking down the cobblestone streets!! See you soon,
HOLLY (Martin) BARKER